View Single Post
      09-16-2013, 07:30 AM   #43
karussell
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 4 wheels

Ian you should know exactly why as i have explained it to you before. Bluntly put you did not understand the suspension settings on your STI and i'm fairly confident that was a contributing factor to your "move" to a different car. At the apex of wipperman there is a nice bump and you probably bounced off your bumpstop causing instantaneous 100% traction front right wheel and 0 on your rear left causing you to spin. If you had stock suspension you probably would still be driving your STI.

Second point. Too many times i have met students obsessed with their suspension settings versus just concentrating on driving. i guarantee you will waste a lot of time changing bump rebound and rate and not show any improvement in your time. which brings me to my other point. worse case is you set the shocks too firm and you blow a seal on them ruining the shock on your first lap out and then you are really going to be pissed.

the ring is a very rough track. even the stiffest setting on edc i find you have less traction as the car hops around a lot. if you are worried about ultimate lap times you will crash the car. not a matter of if….its when and how serious. when you want to switch to triple adjustable suspension which isn't even legal for half the field in the VLN it should be because you have extracted every last inch of performance from your car and you are competing.

If its just for fun, then I say again, its a waste of money. but its your hard earned cash and you certainly earned it. enjoy in good health. that money would be better spent on tuition at scuderia hanseat. that school alone will probably net you the single biggest improvement in your driving technique and resultant lap time over all the mods you could possibly do to the car.

If you are dead set on suspension change i would go with H&R. they have a fixed rate coil over suspension developed specifically for the nurburgring. and if it works well at the ring, its probably not going to be too bad at just about any track out there.