toofasttooslow
Galactic Emperor
Rep
Drives: Fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by BzsBimmer View Post
So here's my off topic rant...
HARD DRIVES SUCK
Yes, there, I've said what a lot of people won't...

Since the advent of gazillion RPM drives, manufacturers have made cheaper HD's for the masses and the masses are going to pay dearly eventually....

I've had a total of 10 drives go bad in the past few years... a 90% increase of failed drives since I've owned computers back when DOS was the shiznit and Windows 95 blew on to the computer scene...

As more and more people put pictures, movies, etc. on their hard drives and don't back up... let's just say... YOU'RE F'd!

HD warranties suck too... because they won't warranty their replacement drives.
I have over 2TB of hard drive space.... 1TB for computing and 1TB for backups... now THAT's a chunk of change

/END RANT
(Let me guess you say... your hard drive just failed....)

Sounds like you have a cooling issue causing your drives to fail. That failure rate is definitely not the norm in any use case. Could also be your SATA/ PATA card (on-board also)is fubar'ing them as well. I've seen some cards that have caused big issues with drives - no matter what brand you put in.

Here's an interesting study that Google did on HD failure rates. They took failure numbers from their own huge storage array and tried to correlate it to real world numbers.

http://209.85.163.132/papers/disk_failures.pdf
Appreciate 0