08-05-2007, 09:28 PM   #24
OBI_agent
D to the X to the B!
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: ABS,American bargain supercar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver72 View Post
Did quick search didn't see anything, but if I missed this before and it's old news I'm sorry.

So I'm browsing my new Automobile magazine and they are showing renderings of the new BMW 6 series, as well as the "updates" for the 2008 model.
Appears, to no big surprise our 335i engine is going to become the base engine in the 6 series as well.

But what caught my eye was an optional twin turbocharged V8 making 400 hp that will slot between our 300 hp TT I6 and the 500 V10.

Yes, I know the current NA V8 makes 360+ hp so "how could a twin turbocharged V8 only make 40 more hp"?

I'll guess two things:
1. It's a smaller V8 (probably 4.2-4.4 liters) instead of 4.8
2. Like our TT I6 , it's probably underrated by 20-25 hp and tq.

But I gotta tell you, a TT V8 would be absolutely SWEET.
It would be a PROcede away from the horsepower of the V10, and probably have more torque stock already.
Hope someone would start developing a LSD for this car the day it comes out, it would need one for sure!
Your probably right. Even I heard that BMW are gonna give 'the turbo treatment' to everything. And I think the turbo's are there for the monstorous torque, not for the horsepower. For example the 335 engines horsepower is low(claimed by BMW), but look at the torque level....its insane! Thats why the 335i is so fast even though it matches IS350's hp.

If this v8 tt engine comes, I am sure M5 or m6 engine will be updated to the predicted 5.5 v10 producing 550hp(toque unknown...above 400). There are two reasons behind it. One, the horsepowerwar is going on. Second, if the TT v8 comes out, it can be too close to m5 or m6 performance number

Twin turbo engines rule !
Appreciate 0