09-30-2010, 07:56 PM   #10
AP Racing - Chris_B
Brake Maven
United_States
Rep
Drives: E34 540i/6, others

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictorH View Post
Wow! That's impressive. A few weeks of street use and two track days (is that right) and the pads are gone? I don't think I've ever seen a pair of pads wear that fast. Where in the PNW is a track that would give you this much wear, not SIR (Seattle International Raceway when I lived there, now called something else) or Portland international raceway.
Even track pads can be gone through in one day. Well, in professional racing anyway. NASCAR teams usually go almost completely through pads that are 1-1/4" thick in one 500 lap race at Martinsville. And that's with massive cooling ducts, carbon rotor gloves and cross-drilled titanium pistons! It's all about rotor temps and energy dissipation.

That said, different pads should be used in the OP's application -- which work for him, in that car, at that track, at his current skill level and preferred style of braking. Another driver might need a different selection.

These kits are shipped with a fairly high temp pad -- for street and sporting use. They cannot be supplied with full track pads as standard unless specified that way by the customer. Most track pads have very low cold friction, so coming up to the first stop sign in the morning becomes a very exciting, perhaps life-changing, experience.

HP Man: Since you seem to have liked the feel and linearity of the Mintex Xtreme Motorsport compound (as do I!), I would suggest trying Mintex F3R race compound on the front next time out. This is a very linear, high-temp (up to 2100°F) full race pad that many professional drivers swear by. It also has outstanding release characteristics, which help it stand out among some others in that category.

That compound works very well in conjunction with Xtreme Motorsport on the rear as long as the rear rotors aren't getting above 1300°F, which is not likely. You can get F3R from whoever supplied your brake system. NOTE: These are not for street use!

Chris
Appreciate 0