11-26-2013, 11:11 PM   #1236
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanstyle View Post
Hey guy, I'm a practicing structural engineer with BS and MS degrees from a school that was #2 in the nation in the field at the time of my graduation. I graduated both times with highest honors and have been practicing in this highly technical field for over a decade now. Be careful what you assume about my thought processes.
Right back at ya. My three degrees are in Math, Physics and Physics again, also from top national uni's. I've also worked as Mechanical Engineer in multiple industries. However, that really isn't so relevant here. Do you have formal training or experience in reciprocating machine dynamics, tribology, IC engine design, bearing fault analysis, etc? I completely stand by my previous post as a reply to yours about the "intellectual dishonesty" present by many of use here practicing some healthy skepticism.

Perhaps you want to reply to my post rather than just throw up an appeal to expertise and some lame "warning". All I can go on is your posts, I'm not a mind reader and again I completely stand by my post below (of course with the very minor update that regular_guy has since made a ROM estimate of the number of cars affected by this).

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
If you don't recognize proper debate and proper evidence I guess too bad. Personally I've been courteous and open and have asked more questions myself than making any conclusions. Most others who have shown some level of healthy skepticism have shown a similar level of maturity. This thread overall has been pretty tame and largely free of ad hominem attacks and other distractions.

Your friendly local BMW service adviser works "in the field" and even for this particular company. I can't count the number of times I have heard utter 100% false crap about my car and BMWs in general from a BMW SA. There are also countless second hand stories of similar levels of utter incompetency. This is just one example of a plethora of others that exists that demonstrates that "working the field" is vague and truly does not mean squat. I've asked the only real potential expert we have here in this thread to share his credentials and he has consistently refused to do so. The OP freely admitted on multiple occasions that this is not at all an area he has expertise in.

A fairly clear amount of intellectual dishonesty has however appeared from the parties claiming to have all of the answers. No one on that side can even give a ROUGH COUNT of how many motors that are entirely or largely stock and have exhibited this excessive wear. I've only asked for this about 3 times... Similarly there have been many post here on this thread and in threads referred to be this one with motors with superchargers and on non OEM BMW internals showing the dreaded wear. Again such cases are nearly 100% irrelevant to whether or not BMW screwed up their clearances and/or oil recommendation in a big way.

Sorry but you are way off base here.
| XPEL Full Front Wrap | Hardwired V1 | Interior Xenon Light Kit |
Appreciate 0