12-20-2007, 02:32 PM   #152
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmPower View Post
This exercise proves that a high performance car need not cost a better part of a $100,000. Plus, the amount of engineering that has gone into this car has proved that fast/ safe/ fuel efficeint can be economical. A true 'Volkswagen' then?

Porsche has been accused of late to mark up their cars so much that each unit costs 60% of the sticker price. So, it will be interesting to note what Porsche develops to answer this most amazing car of the 21st century
Your numbers here on Porsche profits are incorrect. The number is closer to 70-75%. Did you see my post #114 in this thread? Porsche profit margins have been published and the last figure I saw was 18% (on dealer invoice not selling prices). Also it is quite likely that the GT-R (if sold at the US sticker price we have been told) will be sold at a loss by Nissan,which again is not at all a totally bad thing.

I think the Mitsubishi Evo is one shining example that proves a very highly engineered and sophisticated sports car does not have to cost $100k. Well this case actually proves one does not even have to cost $50k.
Appreciate 0