View Single Post
      08-14-2010, 12:33 PM   #24
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave07997S View Post
Remember, even at the Boss's power level it is still only 88hp/litre. The M3 is already at 103hp/litre. Ford built in improvement that wouldn't cost much. The intake manifold is what they are using on the GrandAM cars.
It's true that the intake is borrowed from the racing program, but I wouldn't say that the Boss evolution of the Coyote 5.0 was an inexpensive development by any means. If you read the press release on the Boss engine itself (I posted a link to it above) you can see the painstaking process they went through to develop the new engine including upgrading their dynamometers and developing a CNC porting process just for these heads. This is almost literally a racing engine in a production car. That's an achievement to be commended no matter how you look at it.

I do agree BMW is doing more with less overall, but then the Boss engine can be had in a much cheaper package too. Plus, the GT version of the engine makes its power on regular gas, although I don't know if that still holds true for the Boss.

I understand Finnegan's basic premise, and I somewhat agree with him. What if BMW would give the production S65 more of the technology from the P65 racing motor? Maybe not the flat-plane crank, but the heads and intake at least. Or, they could give us the 4.4L. Or combine both for that matter. I'm sure it boils down to lack of ability to make a business case for these improvements to the production M3, but its just too bad they can't find some way to do it. For that matter its too bad that the S65 itself will soon be put out to pasture, while Ford will continue on with their V8, refining it even more.
Appreciate 0