10-07-2011, 01:17 AM   #49
pn_e92
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 LCI 328i M Sport White/Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by ploo View Post
Just my opinion -

If you're extremely happy with your e92 328, stick with it. The 3 series is a great car, and if you're happy with the 328, you may not really need the v8 in the e92 M3, it all depends on what you get out of the car. For sure, the F8x M will be better performance, and better in some ways, but worse in others. You may prefer the new technology and presumably increased torque in the turbo V6 - I loved the updated iDrive coming from an E46, when the F8x comes out it will inevitably make the E92 tech feel dated. The V8 is a special engine and that is why I bought my e92 and why I'm keeping it for several years, but it's not for everyone. I've never been satisfied driving any regular 3 series (although they are great cars) and the M3 is it for me. The M has a harsher ride, is obviously much more expensive, and most importantly, requires being driven hard to really be appreciated.

Just some food for thought...certainly the E92 M3 is a great car and the engine is a gem, but if you're not going to be near 8000rpm very often, you'll kind of be missing the whole point of paying so much money to switch from your 328.
Very nice write up. Thanks.

In terms of tech, I agree with you 100%. I will want to have the updated iDrive, speakers, little luxury additions, etc. That is all very important to me.

I drive my 328 as my only car for everything. I don't really race or go to race tracks (I will occasionally have some fun in closed areas), although I do enjoy driving at high speeds and feeling the precision of BMW's handling when I drive; naturally, I drive in sport mode over 90% of the time in my 328 because I think it's a major difference and makes the driving more fun. In terms of the V8, what makes it so unique? Is it just because the V8 adds a certain feel to the drive (the harsh drive you were describing)? Or is there something more to it?

The 328 I have now is my first BMW and fastest and strongest car I have ever had. I think I'd be rushing too fast if I were to get the M3 now, as I have mentioned before. I have never driven an M3, so I don't really know how to compare it, but from what I have heard and read the difference is immense, obviously. Again, my only concern/worry is that in terms of driving I will miss out (not luxury).

But then again if I really want a V8 in a coupé form within the same range as the M3 I can always get... ?

EDIT: Also, are you suggesting I buy the 328 if I am happy with it at the end of the lease? Is it possible to just extend the lease?
Appreciate 0