View Single Post
      05-07-2010, 01:02 AM   #16
335R1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

There is NO SUCH THING as outgrowing a 600cc also there is absolutely NOTHING WRONG with starting out on 600cc regardless of what the guys up above have said. People tend to outgrow the 250cc extremely fast, although it's a great beginner's bike because it's power band is much more for giving on first time riders. I started out on an 04 R6. Not the best bike to start off as the R6 is extremely responsive, light, quick and track ready bike out of the box compared to the other 600cc. I was lucky enough to have a amateur racing buddy watch out for me during the first couple of seasons, so I learned a lot from him. With him and time on an actual race track for track days has made me much more aware and respectul of the bike no matter what size it is. Regardless, don't be scared to start off with 600cc. I can guarantee you that 9.5/10 guys you see on the streets riding 600 have't even tapped the full potential of that bike or even know how to ride it properly. I've seen guys riding 600c on the twisties and tracks shit all over guys with 1000cc bikes. A liter bike doesn't mean shit unless you're a squid who likes straight aways. 3 seasons after owning my R6, I reworked the suspension. Had the forks revalved, double adjustable penske shocks, gpr steering dampner, new tires, bike balanced to my weight and it was NIGHT AND DAY. A complete different bike. The dyanmics of it truly made me feel like I was the bike. Knee dragging was effortless and natural.

Then I did something. My buddy has 2 track bikes (30k invested on 01 R6 and 06 R1) and his Ducatti 1098 for the street. I rode his tracked set up 06 R1 and it was more butter than my R6. I was so in love, that I traded up my R6 for a fresh still in the box R1two weeks later without minding the fact that his suspension was worked up. Quite honestly, I miss 600cc a lot. I knee drag and the best machine for that was a 600cc bike. All that horsepower and torque of the liter bike is unnecessary for me. My other friend just picked up a brand new Triumph 675 and I am so envious. Now I have to start all over again with the suspension on my R1.

Bottom line, consider how long you plan to keep your first bike. Dont' be afraid to start off on a 600cc. Respect, learn, familiarize and know the bike. When you really learn how to ride it, you won't need to consider anything else.
Appreciate 0