View Single Post
      03-26-2014, 05:44 PM   #8
catherineanh
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 435xi M Sport

I am biased on this one as I'm a civil engineer. It all depends on what you are passionate about. I did my bachelors degree in civil engineering specializing in construction engineering and project management. Construction engineering is a type of project engineering where you manage your resources from conception to delivery of a project. It includes: project management, resource allocation, budgeting, project cost estimating, planning and control, project delivery systems and etc..

I've always had a passion for science and architecture, and that is where my two passions meet.

There are a multitude of specializations in civil engineering, such as: geotechnical/foundation engineering, construction engineering, structural design (concrete/steel/timber), environmental engineering, hydraulic engineering, transportation engineering, building engineering (energy analysis/HVAC), oil/energy mining, and etc...

Also, there are PLENTY of jobs in civil engineering in Alberta in upstream engineering... (petrochemical, oil/energy, mining)

Civil engineers who specialize in structural and finite element analysis draw on AutoCAD a lot too (along with Revit, SAFE, ETABS, and SAP2000).

Regardless, both mechanical and civil engineering are fast-moving, challenging, and rewarding careers.

Good luck on getting your degree and iron ring

Last edited by catherineanh; 03-26-2014 at 06:10 PM..
Appreciate 0