10-19-2012, 01:03 PM   #55
w00tw00t
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MW M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakred View Post
Maintenance is nothing like that. A good set of tires will run about $1200, Transmission/Diff fluid change = $900, Good Brake pads are about $500 for all 4 corners, and Good non drilled rotors are $1400 (if you track the car). These are the most expensive perishables on the car. Everything else like engine oil change $120, Alignment, etc are all negligible. The GTR is probably the cheapest Supercar to maintain.

Hammad
mostly true.. however what pads are $500 for all four corners? lol.. good gtr pads are $500-600 just for the fronts (endless me20s for eg) .. and again what tires are $1200.. lol..?? Michelin PSS are $1500+

I just switched back from a year of ownership on a GTR.. also expenses change a lot when you start tracking the gtr. And basically I'm in the camp that if you have a fast car then you need to take it to the track.. in other words.. I'm a track crackhead!

when taken to the track, the gtr will eat tires (each set $1500+) within 2-3 trackdays and pads within 5-6 ...and gtr pads are not cheap... a good set of endless me20s are 600-700 bucks.. stock rotors will crack within 3-4 trackdays so you need to get ap j hooks .. and those will last about 15-19 trackdays. and then it'll overheat within a few laps and you need to cut your sessions short and cool it down...

to fix this you need to buy an expensive tranny cooler to keep the tranny from exploding but ironically when you install a cooler and change to an aftermarket (Safer and better) tranny fluid you automatically invalidate your warranty .. so essentially you are fucked either way.. keep stock parts and the tranny goes >230F within five laps .. do mods to bring tranny temps under control and screw your warranty.. the gtr is pig heavy..

for the m3 on the other hand, tires last about 6-7 trackdays.. tires (NITTO NT01 or NT05s 275/35/18s) cost $900 (almost half) .. pads last much longer .. discs last almost forever... and then the main thing is the car doesn't overheat and can run on and on ...and the m3 tranny is rock solid .. the gtr felt like a ticking time bomb... switching back to the m3 .. I've lost a few seconds on the track (big deal)... gained a much cheaper car to track .. still as much fun, I can learn more, be a better driver and peace of mind knowning that I have a rock solid car with a rock solid warranty..

with the gtr I always felt like I was driving a ticking time bomb ..
Appreciate 0