View Single Post
      08-24-2010, 08:12 PM   #137
gthal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive

Although I thoroughly enjoy all of the various "M3 vs" threads, the more I read and respond, the more I realize it is really all just a big pissing contest. My car is faster by 0.2 sec to 60 than yours, etc.

Bottom line, IMO, is as follows:

1. The search for a "faster" car will never end and there is almost always a faster and cheaper option.

2. More power and speed is really just to give bragging rights for 80% of the population because they NEVER actually use the power/speed on public streets (legally) and don't track their cars.

3. IMO, the M3 and Mustang will be RARELY cross shopped other than by some track enthusiasts or those whose budget is stretched by the M3. If you can comfortably afford the M3 and like the brand, the Mustang won't even be on your radar. Call it badge snobbery, fanboyism, whatever... bottom line is that true enthusiasts (like many here) are the vast MINORITY of M3 purchasers. Most people who buy M3s buy it, in part, for the brand and they are not going to park a Mustang in their driveway next to their neighbors Carrera on one side and their other neighbors C63 on the other side. I'm not saying all of those here have the same concern but MOST M3 owners do... and they don't frequent this forum.

4. I love a lot of things about the Mustang... the power, styling (exterior) and sound... way better stock exhaust than the M3 based on sound alone. For me though, the Mustang doesn't interest me and it isn't because of badge snobbery. I personally appreciate the details associated with German cars. I have a colleague that has a Corvette that would embarrass my M3 in almost every performance measure but I still would not buy the Corvette. Not because it isn't a great car but because it isn't my cup of tea (and also because a Honda Accord's interior is WAY better than the Vette).

5. There will always be faster cars than our M3s. It sometimes feels like many here get offended or it lessens their self esteem when that happens... see my comment #2... this is all really just a big pissing contest. We shouldn't feel threatened when another car is as good, or better, performance wise than an M3 even if it costs less. We chose the M3 for specific reasons and regardless of how great the Mustang is, it isn't the right car for many here for various reasons.
2015 M4 | Austin Yellow | DCT
2012 MB C63AMG | 2011 E92 M3 | 2010 E92 M3
Appreciate 0