07-08-2013, 02:53 PM   #14
mdosu
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Double Vanos'd Civic-M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by visualvaccine View Post
I've now heard a few people talking about updates to their ECU. Is there a sticky or post someone could link to that could give me more info on that?

What are the benefits, costs, dangers, etc?
no formal link, do a search for 240E on this forum for details, but here's a decent thread to read, you might be on the 170E software as a 2011, some people attribute the major differences at the 231E software.
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthr...highlight=240E
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=797020

You can get it updated remotely or locally by an independent coder. You can also take it to the dealership. Independent prices vary greatly, but there are various forum vendors here you can support by giving them your business. (Benvo, EAS...just to name a few, I'm not reviewing these vendors here, I'm sure they all do a superior job!)

Dealerships I believe would charge around $220-$250 (last time I heard), and they update idrive's navigation/entertainment modules at the same time, whereas the independents could update only the ECU. Dealers may do it for free if you're coming in for warranty work that requires ECU or idrive updates (have you updated your DCT software re: the SIB? I'm not sure what production month the DCT lag was fixed)

Benefits for me aside from throttle smoothness was also a bit more noticible mpg gain at highway cruising speeds. I suspect the throttle sensitivity was removed to allow "finer tuning" of the amount of thottle/gas input when your feet moves the pedal, hence the mpg gain here.

Dangers...well, I suppose independents can mess it up or anything can happen when you have 3rd parties do the work, though I think the risk is low. I think there's minimum overall risk as the software is OEM anyways.

You should also look into DCT software updates. As I own a 6MT, I'm not keeping up to date the various discussions on OEM DCT updates or even DCT behavior, some of which could be normal. So I wouldn't count those out as resolutions either. I guess what I'm saying is, with ECU and DCT softwares, just make sure you're on the latest and greatest and start from there

Last edited by mdosu; 07-08-2013 at 03:12 PM..
Appreciate 0