GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by kotik View Post
]We have a group of people here that have m cars, and they never go above 100mph, and mostly just cruise, and never track, and never drive fast... I consider it a waste... as in money wasted. Why buy performance car and not go fast?
I hear ya, but as one of that group here's my 2 cents:

I consider it a waste to buy an M3 to take to the track - i.e., who the hell would buy a luxury car (a/c, stereo, power seats, ...) for the track?? If I wanted a track hobby I'd buy a track car like maybe an older Porsche - it sure as hell wouldn't have leather interior and navigation! So different points of view but we're both enthusiasts - hail the community!

But to answer your original question for myself it's because I like engineering. I buy expensive watches when a $5 casio has better "performance". And I've never entered my watch in an accuracy competition, but I still love it for it's engineering (eg., it has a class 5 ti case)

The reason I didn't buy the 335i is ... three-fold:

(1.) It's not BMW's best design & engineering
(2.) A high-revving V8 was just too enticing to pass up
(3.) If I bought a 335i then I'd have to drive around in a 335i ... I like the M3 brand WAY better. It's not snobby - i don't think - I like the racing heritage.
Appreciate 0