10-23-2008, 06:08 PM   #26
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by footie View Post
OK, I am sure that the GTR exited the corner a little quicker, call it guts feeling, but the ZR1 catch it and over took it before the banner.
Footie, this is simple, your gut and observations are inconsistent with the facts of the video. Either way I did explore the possibility of a few mph here or there and it did not change my conclusion.

Quote:
I understand you are a man of science and everything is explainable given enough facts, but on this one you don't have all of the facts and are making up simulations based on limited data. You know that ZR1 team reported winds that day and found 15mph to work to the simulation but at no point did you allow for the incline or know exactly how long a gear change is.
As I said, analysis with incomplete information is an art and science and those that can do it well can succeed in many diverse fields from business to science and much in between. I am not "making up simulations" I am conducting simulations to find agreement between observations and physics. This is a very important disctinction. I think the incline (or decline or both) on this section is not enough to worry about. Either way that affects all cars equally. The only effect this would have would mean my transmission loses are off pretty much EQUALLY among the simulations. The couple of fractions of a seconds if a gear change takes .4 instead of .3 seconds is also not so relevant. The full advantage of the GT-R DC system is in the simulations.

Quote:
Is this new argument to disprove the GTR's lap time or say that it's got ??? amount of power?
Hmmm not sure how many times I have to emphasize the point. There is no argument that A GT-R did a 7:29. Anyone who would argue that doesn't have much to stand on. THE POINT is how much power does it take to do this and therefore how under rated is the car. This is the most interesting question to me.

Quote:
I have personally matched both the GTR and ZR1 laps together and on the straights the ZR1 has a definite advantage but in the corners the GTR pulls yards out of the Vette. Best watch the section between Bergwerk and Klostertal, here is a much better gauge of the performance gap between the two cars, again the GTR comes out of the corner on to this long high speed section in the lead but by the end it's a good 2.5~3 seconds down. The 530hp estimates for all GTR and this one are about right.

By the way after this section, in the twistie and more demanding section between Karussell and Galgenkopf the GTR regained the 3 seconds lost to the ZR1 but then re-lost almost half of this between Dottinger Hohe and the finish line.

By all means view the videos and match the two cars in each section I have listed, you will find I am right on this. But the most telling section is the high speed one between Bergwerk and Klostertal, the tree coverable would allow for little wind to affect either car and the evidence is clear that the ZR1 is considerably quicker in acceleration than the GTR in this section. I am confident that the GTR is as stock as any other out there based on this.
Footie, get real, talk about a massive DIVERSION. If you call these sections straight I don't know what I can say. Sure they are faster and more straight than other sections, but these are littered with curves. Likely small advantage = GT-R perhaps simply based on how confidence inspiring and easy to drive it is. Do recall the official specs as well here for the skidpad, GT-R = 0.95g, ZR1 = 1.05 g! Let me quote part of my orginal post since you never seem to read much but talk and talk and talk.

Quote:
Let's simply consider the raw acceleration of this car when exiting a fast corner (around 100 mph at Schwalbenschwanz, at around km 16.5) and on to the long stretch (Döttinger Höhe). We surely can all agree that this is nothing but a speed contest, a rolling start drag (granted a pretty fast rolling start) and a hp war.
Frankly this discussion is getting boring.

No comments about the regressions I see? Funny how this is consistent (barely) with 550 hp. Do you have any idea what 3+ sigma means compared to 1.6 sigma? Well I'll tell you - just for a hands on guy. It is loosely like flipping a coin and getting 10 heads in a row.
Appreciate 0