12-04-2008, 09:45 PM   #227
satinghostrider
Major
Singapore
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ZCP LCI II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sticky View Post
You realize the V8 is lighter than the 6 cylinder it replaced don't you? You realize neither of those v8's you mentioned has individual throttle bodies, right?

You don't care about hp per liter? Ok, so BMW should just stick in a 427 cubic inch V8 and call it a day? The hp per liter is what gives the motor its characterists, by design it has to rev higher.

I don't think you get it, competitive results? BMW is competitive, actually best in class, with smaller engines. The M5 does not need 6.2 liters to beat the benz V8. It does need its redline though. This is also what makes it special. The only other motors that are anywhere near as special as the S65 or S85 would be the F430 V8 and the GT3's flat six. That is it, and BMW offers the best motors for the money of these manufactuers. Sounds to me like they are doing fine, some people just don't get it and never will.

Say what you will about forced induction, I don't think the M3 would give me as big of a smile if it wasn't screaming toward redline.

A 911 GT3 would just turn into... a turbo.

An F430 would no longer have that special ferrari high rpm wail that makes your spine tingle and is an intrinsic part of the driving experience. Yes, the motors are less fuel efficient, yes, they don't make as much torque, yes, they are freaking special and unlike anything else and therefore worth their premium.
+1. I felt so much more sensation after my 335 in the M3. Its truly a magical experience and the throttle play is just so sharp. Its hard to feel this way in a FI car unless BMW is able to somehow do it.

2018 F80 LCI II ZCP ///M3 Mineral White M-DCT| Sakhir Orange Interior| |M Performance Exhaust|
Appreciate 0