10-11-2010, 03:33 PM   #24
Ryan@IND
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: ACR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richbot View Post
I have no idea why these wheel companies insist on ignoring the extra inch of room to the inside of the rear wheelwell that exists with the stock setup. The custom wheel makers like CCW and others seem to understand how to fit larger tires on the car. What's the (performance) point of a wider wheel if you can't fit anything larger than what you can get on the stock wheels? Lame. That's where people like HRE come in, made-to-order. But there's no reason the Volks couldn't be made with the correct offset so that people like me would be interested. As it sits now with their lineup, I'm not.

I suppose you could always have somebody mill 5mm off the face, but the Volks are so light already that I'd hesitate to remove any more material, even from the hub face.

Excellent point.

Companies like Volk and Advan are all based in Japan and they have very different demand, when it comes to modding cars, even for track. Also, overall, i believe that there is a bigger demand, even in the US for these low offset wheels, than there are for wheels that will allow the use of a specific R Compound tire or a specific track set up.

Having said that, I think this is where companies like HRE shine with their ability to "customize" the wheels. These R40 are very focused on the intent for motorsport usage. Which is why they are designed to hold their ground with large BBK, such as the 380mm Brembo.

Traditionally, getting custom wheels meant having to go the 3 pc route, which tends to be heavier and also has an inherent problem with the drop center holding water and snow (in certain regions).

The R40 really is a great wheel out of box. You can really alter the way you want your car to handle with these custom wheels. 18 - 10.0 all around to 18 - 9.5 front and 18 - 10.0 rear with offsets that will allow you to go between regular street tires to the big R Compound Hoosier radials.

Feel free to consult with us if you have any questions.