#thatsanicemovebro
Greece
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 LSB/Black 6MT

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [9.34]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjae1976 View Post
I agree that the best learning platform is a stock car with good street tires...except for the pads. I remember my first weekend in my 330...cooked a brand new set of HP Ceramics down to a 1/8" in 6 session. Was I an idiot then? Yes but different people will do different stupid things so I'm not sure what anyone fading their brakes is not learning properly means. I am still an idiot? Probably. But I paid for 8 sessions, had to go home after 6 sessions. I see the lesson to be learned here is braking smoothness and management. But at the same time how much will you learn when you go into corner wondering if your brakes will work when you step on the pedal?

I see better high temperature pads as a safety/reliability upgrade. I wouldn't think a novice needs a seat and harness but that's something that I would recommend a novice look into. Unlike supercharging their engine or jumping right into R-comps.
I agree with what youre saying to a certain extent, but i maintain my point of view. If you are beginning to learn how to track a car, your speeds should not be high and your braking should be early and slower. In a 20 minute session, you will not make the stock pads fade. I guess its also track dependent, but still. By all means, buy better pads. Have them in case you need them, but stick to the stock. When you start noticing fade, change them. This would also give you a physical indication of the fact that you are faster and braking harder.

I would also like to specify that my advice applies to someone who has NEVER tracked before. If you have already been on a track woth another car and understand the intricacies of this passtime, then by all means yes...start with better pads.
Appreciate 0