04-28-2011, 09:30 PM   #1
Seattle S65B40
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 e92 M3

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
Possible 6MT mechanical overrev mistake!!

Been driving MT for over 10 years now, but might have pulled a potentially serious fail out of clear oversight.

So I'll cut right to the chase here. I was traveling approximately 70 MPH (no more than 75 but can't be 100%) downhill on the freeway as I'm getting ready to exit (was in 3rd engine braking down from high revs). The ramp is goes off the right and up hill. It is nicely banked to the right - so it's one of my favorites to hold tight in.

Anyway, I entered the ramp at more or less the speed stated above and as i begin to go up the hill I downshifted into second. It was a good downshift, but I was not cognizant of my speed. I would have slowed down more before shifting if I knew it was that high. It had to have still been around 70 to 75 but i'm hoping it was less. I sort of failed to measure the speed at which the hill was slowing me down and assumed I was going slow enough before i shifted (as is typically always the case - third gear and up hill!).

Car revved all the way up to into yellow - not sure exactly where - might have been just in or not even. I was terrified and couldn't tell. It kept me from enjoying what might have been the most amazing sound and behavior I have noticed from this engine to date. the needle really slowed as it approached the red and nothing came on the dash or iDrive.

My question is - did I dodge a bullet or could the car still have overreved without the tach indicating the same? Presumably, if I mechanically overreved the car beyond 8400, the needle would have been pretty far into the red right??

Alternatively, does the rev indicated on the tach match what is actually occurring in the engine in the case of a mechanical overrev?

I hope I'm just being paranoid but I found this, which doesn't help my concern.

I'm hoping the omnicient Bimmerpost members can let me know instead of having to ask the dealer...

Thanks!

Club 6MT
2008 E92 M3 6MT, AW/Blk Ext., brushed aluminum
2006 E46 M3 ZCP 6MT Carbon blk/blk(sold)
2001 E46 325Xi 5MT Jet Blk/Blk (sold)

Last edited by Seattle S65B40; 04-29-2011 at 08:38 PM..
Appreciate 0