03-26-2008, 08:19 PM   #84
ersin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 YMB F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by hakaida442 View Post
I watched the video of the DCT again and it touts uninterrupted lightning quick shifts and smoothness for more performance. Maybe it was wrong of me to assume that it would not be jerky like SMG.

I don't think you're wrong. DCT should be less jerky than SMG due to the fact that there is no/less let up of throttle between shifts.

SMG shifted fast but there was still a moment of time where the clutch was disengaged during new gear selection and acceleration practically stopped, then when the new gear was selected and the clutch re-engaged acceleration resumed. Hence the jerk.

DCT has the next gear pre-selected (not all but most of time I would guess) and therefore no waiting for the gear to change. Just change clutches.

The jerk we are talking about here comes not from the re-engagement of acceleration but the extra energy stored up as engine rotational kinetic energy (angular momentum). My thought is that you will feel less of a jerk but more like a surge. I guess that make us SMG drivers jerks compared to DCT drivers.