Thread: Pilots License
View Single Post
      06-11-2013, 09:31 AM   #4
quagmire
I am Gundam
Rep
Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS

I have about 320 hours with a commercial pilots license+instrument+multi.

I agree with the poster above. Get your PPL and your instrument before worrying about your multi/complex/high performance ratings. There have been numerous occurrences of private pilots without their instrument rating getting into deep trouble when the weather went south. You may never plan to fly IFR, but an instrument rating I would say is more for safety for a private pilot.

Like Nate said, wait until you're more experience before getting into a complex, high powered twin. A C172 or similar kind of plane is the safest plane for a new pilot. Don't have to worry about gear, prop, Vmc, etc. People think a multi-engine aircraft is safer because you have two engines over one. But, accidents prove otherwise. If your engine quits in a single, you know what to do. Find a place to safely put her down. In a multi, it isn't required for the manufacture to show climb performance flying on one engine( you may only lose 50% of your power, but you lose 80-90% of your performance). Then you have to worry about Vmc, etc. You're probably be going to have about 40-60 hours by the time you get your license( FAA mins is 40 hours). That is no where close to being experienced enough to fly an aircraft like the one you are considering buying. It would be like giving a Ferrari to a 16 year old kid who just got their drivers license. That's asking for trouble.

Last edited by quagmire; 06-11-2013 at 09:39 AM..
Appreciate 0