Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 SG 335i 6MT

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [7.66]
Quote:
Originally Posted by silvergray545 View Post
I've been telling myself for years now that after I graduate, I wanna learn how to play the acoustic guitar. Since I will graduate in December of this year, I wanna start looking into it. Can anyone offer any sort of advice on guitars, lessons, ways to teach yourself, etc. Thanks guys.
My story:
Ive been playing guitar for about 3-4 years, starting with electrics. I started on a Fender Starcaster starter package. It sucked, bashed on it for about 1 year. Saved up some $ and bought an Epiphone Les Paul and a nice 15watt Marshall amp. Those were both electrics, both great.

Since then, ive bought two acoustics. The only one of substance is an Epiphone, which i link below. I suggest you go to a GuitarCenter and grab a few and see what fits your body/eye. Im partial to Epiphone since ive owned two and loved both very much. If you didnt know, Epiphone is the baby brother to Gibson, a very reputable guitar manufacturer.

I suggest you find yourself one like this: Epiphone PR-150
I own this one and love it. I was AMAZED at how it felt/sounded compared to the $500 electric guitar next to it. Only an expert could tell the difference in sound compared to a Martin ($x,xxx!!!!!).

As far as learning guitar goes, there are several ways to do it. I was really motivated, and taught myself for 6 months. I eventually got myself an instructor (turned out to be a crack addict lol ). He didnt teach me much, other than a bunch of scales and a few chords that didnt help me progress. I personally learned the best by listening to who i loved (Guns n Roses, Metallica, Avenged Sevenfold, BFMV) and tried to play the tab to their songs. I dont consider myself and expert by any stretch of the word, though.

To be honest, it kind of depends upon where you want to take yourself with you guitar. What kind of music do you enjoy? Theres a difference between learning hard rock and learning jazz The difference is typically who teaches you, and what they teach you. The basics are all the same, but it eventually branches out.

-e

EDIT:

The absolute most INVALUABLE resource for guitar i have EVER HAD:

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/

I use this to look up Guitar tabs (which is a form of written music for guitar. Its the easiest to read/write/learn. Very intuitive.)

Last edited by Eric335; 11-04-2012 at 09:15 PM..
Appreciate 0