View Single Post
      12-29-2013, 11:19 AM   #71
LarThaL
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

So here's a response from someone who owns BOTH a manual transmission car and a dual clutch transmission car, not one or the other. My M3 is a manual and my S6 is a dual clutch.

The DCT is clearly the superior performing product from an objective standpoint. Perfect shifts every time. Rev matched downshifts every time. Lightening fast. Can quickly blast up or down through multiple gears. Definitely the transmission of choice for the fastest track times, as well as for use in traffic and commuting.

However......it is, ultimately, just an automatic. If you enjoy the process of using a clutch and shifter and if this is a big part of yor enjoyment of driving, then DCT will bore you after the novelty has worn off.

There is just no question question that a proper maunal gives you a connection with your engine that the DCT does not.

In the end, if your M3 is going to be an only car, I would get the DCT, because the practical aspects and better performance take priority. If it is going to be a second car, or toy, and you have another practical transport vehicle, get the proper manual for the more fun experience.

Until I owned a dual clutch car, I found myself questioning whether or not I should have bought a DCT M3. Now that I have a dual clutch car, I am very glad my M3 is a proper manual.