View Single Post
      04-12-2014, 10:37 AM   #990
NemesisX
Captain
Rep
Drives: '19 Infiniti Q60S

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1et View Post
I'd say that a proper curry, whether Indian or Thai, is a real treat for me. My wife makes a killer chicken korma at home, completely from scratch. I definitely have never had a better chicken korma in a restaurant. And she's not Indian, she was born outside of Ft. Worth...
nice. As far as restaurants go, the best curry I've had was at a place called Vij's restaurant in Vancouver, BC -

http://www.vijs.ca/

4.5 stars with 434 reviews on google reviews, and 4.5 stars with 501 reviews on yelp.

This was probably 5 or 6 years ago now but I still remember the lamb curry dish I had at Vij's. No restaurant in Austin comes even close in my opinion. Austin's indian fare ranges from stunningly mediocore (claypit) to abjectly disgusting (bombay grill), although my brother says Teji's on guadalupe is OK for the price. I have yet to try it, though, but we'll see.

Claypit used to be acceptable to me when they first opened, but their quality has taken a turn for the worst in recent years. A year ago I attended a friend's graduation party at claypit. Claypit offers their special "butter chicken" dish for catered events and I thought that tasted pretty good. Other than their butter chicken (which they don't offer during regular dining hours), I'm not much of a fan of anything else.

I swear, for catered events Claypit will prepare their curry from scratch. If you go during lunch hours, for example, the curry tastes like it's been frozen for days and heated up prior to serving.
Appreciate 0