#thatsanicemovebro
Greece
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 LSB/Black 6MT

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [9.34]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucid View Post
Thanks a bunch for providing the numbers Greg!

Yes, they seem light, but why are people surprised exactly? They thought that BMW was going to ship a $65k car with optional forged wheels that weigh 30lbs? I don't think so. The BBS wheels are 20-22lbs so 23-26lbs for the OEM wheels are totally reasonable.

Now that we know the tires + wheels weigh, we'll just need to be patient until someone weighs the tires alone. I'd say the error margin on the tires might be more like +/- 1 lbs, but not more than that. You'd figure Michelin would know how to weigh its product.
The reason why people suspect a heavier wheel is because BMW will not spend as much time creating a wheel as some wheel companies. Also, more importantly, BMW wants to ENSURE no chance of breakage by thus making them heavier. Also, the wheels have many spokes...and each spoke is not thin, and definitely not hollow either...therefore it would really be hard to believe a 23/26 lb wheel weight. I would say a minimum of 25/27, but that's just me.

Again, no offense to anyone, including BMW...they are a company that wants to minimize costs, and by making the wheels heavier, 99% of buyers would not notice, and, in the process, wheel-related incidents would be minimized.
Appreciate 0