11-02-2009, 04:56 AM   #312
footie
Major General
Rep
Drives: i5M60

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by southlight View Post
I talked to a good Italian friend of mine () and we think that it might be the right time to share some information.

All kudos for this information goes to Savage.Ulm1! I added some comments in blue.

Name
  • It won't be called M3 CSL.
  • Instead, BMW will either call it "M3 GT4 Street" or "M3 GT".
Engine | Drivetrain
  • Naturally aspirated engine with an increased displacement of 4,400 cc (based on the S65).
  • At least 450 hp, likely more.
  • No information regarding KERS (KERS will likely debut in the F10 M5)
  • 7 speed DCT only, no manual transmission.
  • 'State of the art' exhaust system, but not Akrapovic.
Chassis | Brakes | Aerodynamics:
  • Brembo brakes (6 pistons front - 4 pistons rear) with steel brake discs. Ceramic composite brakes optionally available.
  • Weight reduction of 100 kg (220 lbs) compared to E92 M3, maybe even more.
  • Available as a 2 seater. However, rear seats are optionally available.
  • Rollbars standard (there's a delete option).
  • Adjustable front splitter.
  • Adjustable mechanical suspension, no EDC.
  • 25 mm lower compared to E92 M3
  • Same width as the E92 M3.
  • Fantastic new wheels.
  • New 'state of the art' seats.
General information

• Nuerburgring laptime: 7:40 min
  • Not available through BMW dealer network, but directly from BMW Motorsport.
  • Street legal (of course).
  • Exclusively painted in Inka Orange (a hommage to early BMW race and sports cars). Availability of other colors at a later date.
  • The car was tested secretly in France and on a private race track (likely Miramas).
  • It will compete with the 911 GT3.
  • Limited Production (some report 25 units per year).
  • Price: Unknown, but less than the price for an 911 GT3.
Note: There's no information as to its availability in the U.S. yet.

Best regards,
south
Hopefully the rest will get off Savage's back and respect that the info had to be keep quite limited at that time.

South, remember you question on capacity. I did hinted earlier that we will see better torque from this engine (larger capacity -hint - hint) but no one seemed to noticed this, the fact that it's hp/L has dropped slightly should promote slightly more torque accordingly than just the 10% would suggest. I didn't relay the N-ring time because the figure I heard blew me away by the improvement and frankly didn't believe it, the weight drop doesn't sound that dramatic but it must be where that weight has come off from that was so important. Also finally we had decent brakes in an M car. This thing is so much more hardcore than the earlier planned CSL.

As I said earlier this is a swam song for the N/A engine and a fitting one at that.

P.S.
Any word of the DSC system of this model, I was told that it would offer a revised version with probably a race mode like that of the Ferraris.

The gauntlet has definitely been put down to the rest so we will see what Mercedes and Audi come up with it the future.
Appreciate 0