View Single Post
      03-10-2007, 02:33 PM   #16
southlight
Moderator / European Editor
Rep
Drives: X3M

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
I'd make a huge wager we get over 300 ft lb.

E60 M5 is at 384, multiply by 4/5 = 307. So again if no improvements to the engine since that was designed (YEARS AGO) we should still see 307 or so. I suspect we will get DGI as well which will help torque. Shame on BMW if we don't get it, RS4 has had it for some time as well as other much less sporty cars. I'd bet DGI would surely push things over 310! Any other minor tweaks to the engine (intake, software, VANOS, etc) should get us to 315-320.

My conclusion - definitely don't worry about sub 300!
You can't compare the FSI found on the RS4 with the HPI BMW is using on 335i. It's a completely different technique. It wouldn't be much of a problem to incorparate a FSI like system, but this doe not have to many advantages. BMW's HPI is the second generation of DI, which is the first DI system which brings you a significant better fuel consumption along with higher output. But HPI doesn't like high revs to much. It was difficult enough for BMW to let it work with the 7000 rpm of 335i. So it's very very unlikely that there will be a DI on the M3 V8. Hope that's not a dealbreaker for you.

Best regards, south
Appreciate 0