05-23-2010, 04:07 PM   #8
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eclipsis View Post
Sorry Marshall, but you're incorrect here. The Magic Eraser works by removing the top layer of finish on your leather. It is, after all, a very fine sandpaper. While you're removing the sheen (which is dirt condensed into the leather's pores), you're also removing Fox Red's pigment. By using the Magic Eraser once, you've already removed a good amount of your finish. Use the Magic Eraser multiple times and eventually you'll have no pigment left. This is why the only situation I'd use the Magic Eraser in is if I'm refinishing a leather structure and need to smooth down the surface before redying it.

If you want to get the shine out of your seats, get a brush with stiff hairs like the Swissvax Leather Brush (the brush actually gets into the grain pattern much better than the Magic Eraser) and a water-based cleaner like Leather Master Strong. The brush is the key to exfoliating the leather's pores. You can damage your seats as much as you'd like though with the Magic eraser.
You can have your opinion and I'll have mine. However, you've said some totally false things.

One question: Have you actually used this product on leather? Do you have any first or second hand account of someone damaging their leather with this product?

I did do some further research on the material though. It is simply melamine foam. Have a look at this good information: here. I'm guessing you did't realize it is made basically of plastic, right? I'm also guessing you did not realize that it works like a brush (which you recommend) - a "micro brush" actually. But because of it's cage like microstructure it traps contaminants instead of spreading them around? Either way you are certainly incorrect that a brush "gets into the grain pattern better". This is the key reason the product works so well - the way the micro fibers get into the grain pattern. It is indeed categorized as slightly abrasive but it the only caution is for soft and shiny things, ones which you could easily see any damaging abrasive effects. It is also recommended for leather. Calling this product "very fine sandpaper" is definitely not an accurate characterization, any more so than calling a brush sandpaper. Brush something enough times and it WILL abrade it as well.

With my own use I found: Shiny parts of any leather - dark black/brown deposits in the Eraser. Guess what I found on the parts that get no contact and hence are already OEM-like in appearance - NOTHING. The product was not really removing anything OF surface, just FROM the surface. There certainly never was a trace of red color in anything that came off my seats.

Do you think you could have cleaned a steering wheel like the one I linked to with a brush and water based leather cleaner? Sorry but even without trying I would have to say no way.

I'll happily plod along with a 2 minute touch up cleaning once a year or so on the worst parts of my shiny leather. I'll be sure to let you know when all the color is gone and the leather is "sanded" away .

P.S. What part of this are you guys missing: Using the top recommended "Leather Master" trio, with the supplied foam sponge and MF towels, as per the exact instructions, did NOTHING to correct my basic problem??? Perhaps the brush you recommend is the missing link but that doesn't take away from the power of the Magic Eraser.
| XPEL Full Front Wrap | Hardwired V1 | Interior Xenon Light Kit |
Appreciate 0