View Single Post
      10-05-2010, 06:48 PM   #52
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: MP4

Quote:
Originally Posted by schoy View Post
Respectfully disagree. I think when people say "paying for friends", they mean that one has to spend money to get friends that one otherwise wouldn't have if one didn't spend the money, i.e. money is the sole cause of the "friendship". There's also an intent element, meaning: "I want to be friends with X, Y, and Z, and the only way I can be friends with them is to pay money, so I will do so".

Paying money to host a party is completely different because they were already friends, and would probably still be friends even if you didn't host the party at all.
I think you are mistaken on what poeple actually pay for in Fraternities. A very large portion of it is just maintenance and supplies. Which would cost the same no matter what, but cheaper due to bulk.

Also, I know many people that became affiliated because of people in a Fraternity that they already knew. You also get to know the people before you have to pay anything via pledging or associate membership, all free.

Though, If you are prejudice against it or just don't really know about it fully, we won't ever agree.