03-23-2010, 05:36 PM   #10
Small Yellow
Track Addict
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW M3 E92 | 2008 Z4M E86

Quote:
Originally Posted by von_zoom View Post
First, congrats for making a good decision on visiting a track, and to participate in a HPDE. There are several threads relative to your questions, however, I am happy to provide some input.

1. Track days / events - There are many club chapters, BMW, Porche, Audi, Mazda, etc which sponsor events (refered to as HPDE, High Performance Driving Education) at tracks all over the country. Many are held in Calif. A typical event will usually comprise of several track periods, and as a novice which you will be, accompanied by an in car instructor who will be your event coach. Along with in car training, there is normally several class room sessions to underline what your instructor is coaching you in the car. Speed is not the issue, car control and situational awareness is the number one point with will be stressed during your first events. As you progress, driving skills will improve, and your training will advance also.

2. No need to look for a coach. Any HPDE event will provide very qualified instructors.

3. What to bring to the track, number one, an open mind, and willingness to learn. Any event you sign up for will provide you with information on what they recommend you have. Some of it is personal, most is required. Speaking for the events I participate in: You will need a "S" helmet, long sleve shirt, long pants, confortable shoes, (I used tennis shoes initially), driving gloves (are nice but not required), and personal as desired - i.e water, food/snacks, hat, jacket etc.

4. Sign up, relax, and go have a good time - no have a great time. This will be a good experience, so be ready, it is very habit forming.

vz
Thanks for the response, I did do a few searches but I guess I used the wrong "search words." I am actually surprised how easy it was for the setup and wasn't as complicated as I originally had thought. Do I have to call in a set up a reservation or simply drive there and sign up. How often do you see novices at these events?
Appreciate 0