08-13-2010, 09:28 AM   #79
M3Fool
Loves FFDP
Germany
Rep
Drives: 11 E90 M3 SOLD 11 5.0 'Stang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious View Post
I doubt this very much... lets see some proof.

The engines are run in at the factory, rings take seat within the first 20 minutes of run time... your car has had 5x that by the time you get your hands on it. One of the problems maybe that since they don't change the run in oil and it stays in the engines until the change at 1200 miles they may want you to keep the speeds down as the oil is contaminated.

Things that need to be broken in are the clutch, brakes, LSD clutches... there will be some additional wear in of the valvetrain and gears but really road/RPM speed should make much of a difference as long as you are being sane.

IMO drive the car normally from day one but avoid tracking it or high speed runs for 1500-2000 miles.

BTW bmw will not void your warranty for not following break in procedure, maybe if you tracked the car before 1200 miles... but even then I doubt that would happen. They don't like pissing off customers who just bought $70,000 cars a month before.
Go to a service center and watch a first service at 1200 on an M car.... the "oil" is CLEAR, not muddy, not black .... KY CLEAR!!!! Don't know about you... but I have never seen water clear oil....

And go take your car in for valve or lifter issues or any engine related problem, let them use the key fob to find out you broke the break in period recommendations and see if it is still covered under warranty. I will let you do that, as tossing a 70k car in the trash is not high on MY list of priorities