08-09-2013, 01:22 PM   #29
Longboarder
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW i8

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roman@ESS View Post
Supercharger coolers and factory coolers require airflow. Airflow will affect any cars power that is strapped to a dyno doing back to back runs. You would lose very little whp on back to back runs on the road as aftermarket and factory coolers have access to more air VS a typical dyno. The difference of 20-30 deg AIT on these cars when supercharged makes very little to no difference say maybe 10-15 whp. On the dyno lower intake temps can often be measured in small gains but this is not enough on a 550+ hp car to make a noticeable difference on the road. If you want more reliable power over extended exposure to heat for something like track use you would be better off upgrading the factory cooling like the oil cooler and radiator IMO rather than adding water meth to any system. I would use water meth over upgrading factory coolers only to squeeze a little more power out of the car on a dyno, for short runs or if the fuel quality was poor and the extra octane boost was needed as it would get you about 5-15 whp depending on your ambient temps and fuel quality.

Look at the increase in AIT's on the VT1 tested in this link VS real world performance. You can clearly see that the AIT's increased after several back to back runs with no cooldown and performance was not limited.

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthr...hlight=ess+vt1
I was trying to interpolated the data I was getting on my 335 from the tons of data logging and analysis I used to do (i.e. what happens with power/boost for changes in IAT's, coolant, DA's, octane etc etc) and apply that to the S/C M3 platform. Turns out that what I'm finding is that some of those things that I though were "principles" do not carry forward because the M3 ECU and the S/C tune are completely different as compared with the 335 ECU/tune.

This may be why I'm getting terrible results when I tried to add water/meth. Yeah I'm getting cooler IAT's but damn I'm screwing around with octane, air-fuel ratio, etc and it's just not working out because the M3 ECU and ESS tune work differently.

I'm shedding my stubborness on this topic and beginning to understand and see what you are saying here Roman.
a couple others
IG: longboarder949; YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT1...eoFBszPIK0gf9w
Appreciate 0