View Single Post
      08-06-2013, 03:44 PM   #28
sales@ESSTuning
Rep
Drives: ESS M3 / M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longboarder View Post
Gotta remember that on a race like these, the non-intercooled VT1's will start losing power in the upper gears at the IAT's rise. That's why I was able to tie two of them with my stock turbo bolt on 335.

The dyno only shows you the power it puts down in perfect conditions. Do 15 pulls in a row going from gears 2 through 6 on the dyno and I will put money down that it would drop to something like 75 to 100 RWHP.

They key in races like this is to keep power as constant as possible by preventing IAT's from rising, i.e. intercooler and water/meth injection.
Supercharger coolers and factory coolers require airflow. Airflow will affect any cars power that is strapped to a dyno doing back to back runs. You would lose very little whp on back to back runs on the road as aftermarket and factory coolers have access to more air VS a typical dyno. The difference of 20-30 deg AIT on these cars when supercharged makes very little to no difference say maybe 10-15 whp. On the dyno lower intake temps can often be measured in small gains but this is not enough on a 550+ hp car to make a noticeable difference on the road. If you want more reliable power over extended exposure to heat for something like track use you would be better off upgrading the factory cooling like the oil cooler and radiator IMO rather than adding water meth to any system. I would use water meth over upgrading factory coolers only to squeeze a little more power out of the car on a dyno, for short runs or if the fuel quality was poor and the extra octane boost was needed as it would get you about 5-15 whp depending on your ambient temps and fuel quality.

Look at the increase in AIT's on the VT1 tested in this link VS real world performance. You can clearly see that the AIT's increased after several back to back runs with no cooldown and performance was not limited.

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthr...hlight=ess+vt1
Appreciate 0