Scoobe
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 Sedan SSII/SN/DCT

Garage List
2011 E90 M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wall$treet View Post
It is a inline 6 guys. Some speculation was it may be a v6 if derived from the new m5 engine minus 2 cylinders but clearly a triple turbo is a different setup.

I actually think it is absolute genius to have an electric turbo to absolutely elimnate lag. It actually will be able to bring on torque at almost 0 rpm (not that its overly useful but shows the point electric power is instant whether direct drive or turbo.

The electric will likely contribute to the first 3000 rpms and then will taper off and let the 2 other turbos each boost 3 cylinders since by then enough exhaust has been already spooling the turbos so as soon as the electric one shuts down, the other ones are instantly going.

What I really do not get is this actual clear push to the extent of stating it in the goals of the next m3 to be signifigantly more fuel efficient?? There are SO many fuel efficient models in the bmw lineup and I just think they should continue giving consumers some choice to pick performance over gas milage as long as their fleet is compliant with whatever the goal is. I just do not see why a specific m3 goal should be fuel consumption decrease.

I don't know. A triple turbo with one being electric sounds more like a V6. Turbo each side for the 3 exhaust ports and one electric on top. There is also the advantage of weight distrobution as the I6 forces the cabin further back. More compact V6 could shorten the hood length and thus save weight and retain motor weight behind the front axle.

Interesting to think about either way. Three turbos sound heavy.
Appreciate 0