02-22-2013, 08:25 PM   #5
TexasSpartan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '06 E85 3.0si

Quote:
Originally Posted by VMcV3y View Post
Come to Texas, Houston-specifically.

No state income tax, good weather (except you can trade-off July-August in Texas for Jan-Feb in Michigan), friendly people, and jobs.

Houston has a gigantic medical presence. Texas Medical Centre (1) has tens of thousands of people working there in patient care and research. MD Anderson Cancer Center, and so on are there.

Cost of living? Well, you can get three times the quality/size of a house in Texas than you can in California. In the suburbs (Stafford, TX), a nice two BR apartment with attached garage runs around $1,100 a month. Food, insurance, utilities, all less than California.

If you are a fan of firearms, you'll be able to keep and expand your collection in Texas (versus becoming an instant felon once you cross into California with some kinds of legal weapons).

And, finally, you'll find awesome BMW clubs in Houston, like the "Houston ///M Club." (2)

(1) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Texas_Medical_Center
The Texas Medical Center is the largest medical center in the world with one of the highest densities of clinical facilities for patient care, basic science, and translational research.[1] Located in Greater Houston, the center contains 50 medicine-related institutions, including 15 hospitals and two specialty institutions, three medical schools, four nursing schools, and schools of dentistry, public health, pharmacy, and other health-related practices.

(2) http://www.houstonmclub.com/welcome.html

- V

+1
Was in Michigan for 14 years and then Ohio for 15 before my company moved us out to Texas 4 years ago. We love it and would agree with everything VMcV3y says above. My wife is a nurse and there's all kinds of medical careers here in the Houston/Katy area. We love it here.

Good luck!
2007 E90 335i Sold
2006 E90 330i Sold
Appreciate 0