10-06-2009, 02:16 PM   #42
M&M
Captain
South Africa
Rep
Drives: Boosted Beemers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLud View Post
Yeah, that makes a lot more sense. 30 mph is a pretty terrible rolling speed to start at. I'd probably start in 1st gear also, but it's a lose-lose situation either way. Starting at 31 mph puts you at about 6300 rpm in first gear, which gives you only 2000 rpm to work with before redline. If you just mash it at that point, you'll break the rear tires lose, so you have to roll into the throttle, which means that you don't even have full throttle for the full 2000 rpm remaining before redline. It also adds the time penalty of another shift.
In my opinion it doesn't matter what disadvantage there is. You HAVE to get up into the powerband. Even if its only for 2000rpm. Because from that point forward you will redline that gear & always be in the powerband for the following gears.

Here are 2 more videos to illustrate my point. Both runs are 50km/h to 260km/h & it says so in the banner at the start. A modded 335 against a Porsche 997 GT3-RS & the same 335 against a stock M3. 2nd gear roll-on. The Porsche with a significant power advantage & a big weight advantage gets a beating. It loses so much ground at the start, that it can't even come back on the top end. And this is a car that does a true top speed well in excess of 300km/h straight out the factory. In fact the M3 looks like it does better on the top end than the Porsche, but that could just be circumstances on those races.

The point these videos prove is that rolling with highly tuned NA cars out of powerband is a pointless exercise & doesn't prove anything. Races should be from a dig, or a roll in 1st gear. One has to give both cars a fair chance to get into the respective powerbands & 1st gear rolling tends to even out gearing & powerband differences between most vehicles.

Appreciate 0