View Single Post
      11-20-2011, 04:57 PM   #4
JAJ
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 Shelby GT500

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW Fanatic View Post
Ever since I had my NON-M E90, I came to realise that BMW never just let's you change the pads. They literally force you to do the whole set. I don't get why this is..

Can somebody please explain the life of pads in proportion to rotors and vice-versa. Also, how can you measure the life left in pads and rotors? Assuming it's in millimetres but have no idea how to do so.

I'm also assuming when my car throws the light for a brake change I can just have StopTech Street Performance Pads installed, leave the rotors untouched and be on my way.

Sorry if this sounds like a stupid question but I'd really like to understand this concept for future reference.

Eh? I've never had that happen at my dealer in Vancouver. BMW publishes a minimum rotor thickness spec for continued use, which means that the rotors are thick enough that they won't wear out before the new pads wear out. If the rotors are that thick or thicker when you take it in for new pads, then they'll happily install new pads and turn you loose. Regardless of which pads you use, you'll need new wear sensors as well.

I think you need to ask this question at the dealer and see what their reason is. Calgary winters are pretty harsh, and it could be that the sand wears the rotors fast enough that rotors won't last more than one pad set. Here in Vancouver, where our children don't grow up playing boats on liquid nitrogen puddles on the winter streets, you can pretty much count on two sets of pads per rotor change.

Last edited by JAJ; 11-20-2011 at 05:01 PM.. Reason: Needed to be harsher about Calgary weather...
Appreciate 0