Crisp
Lieutenant Colonel
Albania
Rep
Drives: F95 X5M

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stronghammer View Post
I used to think like you, never again. I tried asking simple questions to two CA's at two dealerships. Got the same stupid answers from both. "Come in, sit down, lets talk". So I sent my specs to a bimmerfest board sponsor. Got numbers back in a few hours instead of words. I bought from him the next day. If you want to skip all the BS, PM me and I will tell you who I used. PCD was fun, really glad I did it
Right, because they don't work the same way. You have to understand the politics behind it.

If you call a local dealer in the North East, 99.9% of the time, he will not give you the bottom line price nor close to it because he doesn't want you taking that number and shopping around with it.

If you e-mail a dealer in, hmm, let's say California, he will give you a much better price because he knows for sure that you're going to shop around with that price locally. Therefor, it's in his best interest to beat all local deals and have you buy the car from him.
It's a win-win because the out-of-town dealer takes a smaller profit per car but sells more cars. The local dealer usually only sells to locals, unless he is also doing the same thing by trying to sell more for less.

However, your local dealer should be able to beat any price (as long as it's realistic) of non-local dealers because it does not look good on them if local customers are buying their cars in different states.

Moral of the story: you have to invest some time and shop around for the best deal. You can't just expect to call a local dealer and get the best number, unless you really know what you're doing or you have done business with that dealership before.