View Single Post
      05-19-2012, 07:09 PM   #78
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adriansideways View Post
Question to The Hack. How do Nitto NT01 compare to Hoosier R6 on the track race conditions? Havnt tried NT01 yet.
NT-01 is like weed. Hoosier R6 is like heroine.

I took brand new, no heat cycle Hoosier R6 to Auto Club Speedway once, and was absolutely FLOORED at the stuff i was able to get away with. And the A6 is supposedly even stickier.

No offense to those who like the NT-01. It IS a great tire. And I continue to use it for most of my track events. They last long, are consistent, and for my use, which is mainly DE, they are tremendous bang for the buck. I can use the NT-01s for about a whole year's worth of events and they'll continue to grip within about 90% of the original level.

I've only used the R6 once, for a total of about 3 heat cycles. I've been told by the guy who sold me the R6 that I've probably got another 2 good heat cycles on it, tops, then the grip will fall off dramatically. I'm almost afraid to put the R6 back on, knowing how addictive the darn near unlimited level of grip is. It had so much more grip compared to the NT-01 that I had to re-learn how to drive the car in the first 3 laps knowing that i can brake much later, turn in even earlier, and trail brake more than usual, and carry MORE speed through just about every turn.

The difference between R6 and NT-01 is almost as wide as say, your typical Extreme Summer tires to NT-01. On a say, 2.5 mile, 2 minute lap course, you're looking at at least 1-1.5 second faster driving the R6 vs. NT-01 at their peaks. At least.
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 0