09-23-2009, 08:29 PM   #36
spicoli024
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 ZCP M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLud View Post
I was going to say that the insurance company would opt to repair unless you have at least $16k or $17k in damage. These days, insurance companies require closer to 75-80% before totaling the car out. Hopefully, they find some more repairs when they look closer. Make sure to let the adjuster know right up front that you will be seeking compensation for dimunition in value, which is recognized under Texas law. That could help push them over the edge if they're on the fence.

A friend of mine just had her 535i t-boned and her car is now keeping your's company over there at Metropolitan.
That is an excellent point, thank you! Hartford, her insurance provider, claims they consider cars a lost cause when the cost for repairs amounts to 72% of the car's estimated worth. So, I suppose I would need around $3,000 more in damages to be discovered in order for it to be considered totaled. If I didn't like that car so much I would go in there with a sledge hammer and beat the life out of it, but that scenario would just be wrong after all the good times together. However, now that I think about it, I do not recall anyone mentioning any damage to the suspension, which would easily add another 3Gs and I am sure it was damaged as I was changing lanes to avoid her when I hit her. I'll keep my fingers crossed for now.

As for Metropolitan, if it comes down to being repaired, I would not trust anyone else in town but them.