Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by fongpi View Post
OK, following the good advice from y'all good folks in this this thread, I ran my free credit report, and found two blemishes that only appear on the Equifax report, and not on the report from Experian. Both are from credit cards I used to have, one from Chase and the other from Citibank. The balance on both are $0 and the the status both state "Pays as agreed." I remember handling both these issues about two years ago and I would have though that they would removed these two delinquent $0 balance accounts by now!

I've disputed both of these items on the website as the option is provided. I'm going to call PenFed and tell them that these problem accounts are technically resolved and that I owe nothing. Hopefully they will understand!
Not so fast...

Blemishes meaning you made a late payment or missed a payment? They stick with you for a while, and they don't just remove them once you pay off the balance... In some cases, if you've paid off the entire balance and it's been some time, you can write in a letter asking them to kindly remove it from your credit history since you did make the payment in good faith and paid it off after a while. Some banks will say "sure, no problem" and others will say "suck it up until it falls off." It's worth a shot, the worst that can happen is that they will say no.

Usually, late/missed payments stay on your credit history for like 7 years I believe (could be wrong). I had two 30-day delinquent payments on my history from when I was in college. One was removed with writing a letter to the credit institution and the other (PenFed) told me to pound sand. Needless to say I don't bank with them anymore. It had been 5 years since I paid the cards off and figured they'd help me out (I was trying to get my credit score up).