01-30-2014, 02:58 PM   #2
nullrouted
Studying...
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW '13 E92 ZCP 6MT M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by flea333 View Post
4 mo into owning my M3 and two tires down for the count. Thankfully I was able to plug the one front tire with no leak problems yet for $15.

I hit some nail on the rear tire near the end so this one needs replacing.

#1 - do these tires that come with the car have NO warranty?? What kind of crap is that.

#2 - BMW said their tires are specially made with different rubber/specs so I would want to go through the dealer only.

#3 - I have a Continential ContiSportContact 3 that runs $415+tax=$477. Tirerack.com doesn't even show the tire as supported.

Does anyone not recommend purchasing from a regular tire service place over the dealer?

Does anyone know if this tire is the best? Seems like its the most expensive.
On my 328 I had Michelin PS2's and they were great, lasted me 2.5 years no issues, even with super low tread.
#1 -- Not sure, but it usually doesn't amount to much in my experience
#2 -- Sounds like normal dealer bullshit to me. Our cars have Conti/PS2/Pirelli from the factory... normal models.
#3 -- Regardless of what you have, with prices like that, depending on your current wear levels on all 4, I'd swap them out for the M3Post-preferred Michelin PSS tire -- cheaper and higher treadwear than PS2 -- A set of 4 should run you about $1000 on Tirerack. My 2013 still has PS2's on it from the factory, but I will be running PSS after they wear out.

As for taking the car to somewhere other than BMW for tire changes -- check out what kind of machine they have to put the tire on the rim. You want them to have Hunter "Touchless" (I believe its called) equipment like BMW does, so your rims won't be damaged in the process.

Me personally? I'd buy the tires separately from Tirerack then pay BMW to mount/balance/install.
Appreciate 0