09-27-2007, 07:15 PM   #16
K335i
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimi_hoffa View Post
This is both correct and wrong. You also want to take into consideration the lens that you are using. You can choose to have a a larger or smaller field of view. The above mentioned method will give you a small field of view, just like was said where the foreground is in focus and the background is blurred....
I think you mean depth of field. Depth of field depends solely on aperture and focal length. It doesn't matter what type of lens you have, though the quality of the bokeh (the term for the out of focus region) will depend on how nice your physical aperture is, and the nicer lenses tend to have much nicer mechanics in general.

To answer the OP's question, photography is all about light. The most important thing you can do to take better (and sharper) pictures is master the art of exposure. People have dedicated their lives and careers to this, so don't expect to master it overnight. Critical sharpness comes from making sure your lens has the right focal point and having no motion in the scene (this means the subject shouldn't move AND the camera shouldn't move, unless you're looking to shoot motion blur).

I've found that the best way to take photos of my car is to use a tripod to keep the camera steady and to focus on unique compositions. Get the camera down near the ground to make the car look more agressive. Use wide apertures (lower numbered F-stops) to blur out backgrounds and draw attention to the important parts of your photo. Play with long exposures to get interesting lighting effects. The bottom line is that you'll have to experiment with all of these techniques before you find the ones that work for you and that you really like.
Appreciate 0