rbk1115
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Acuras & BMWs

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcstep View Post
You and the others are welcome. It was my pleasure.

The Dinan chip will probably give you no more power than the MS, so I'd start with the MS for much less. It's logical that you might gain a little more, but Tut is in FL and only reports about 5 hp also from the MS. I think you can be sure about 5 hp, with is pretty cheap at $99.

As for the Dinan, they only claim about 6 hp and I think I'm getting way less. I would only recommend it for the increased rpm and removal of the speed governor. Since I autocross and have a 4.10 final drive, that was worthwhile for me. I think there are other chips that can give you returns in the mid-teens (claimed 30 hp, but I don't believe it). You may have a slight worry about your warranty, which is not an issue.

Don't forget, at sea level, 100-octane gasoline is good for around 30-hp. At between seven and eight dollars per gallon, that's real cheap hp. At altitude the octane works against me, but at sea level, a filter and a tank of gas gives you almost 10% rear wheel hp increase. Add a final drive on top of that and your adding hp and torque significantly.

Dave
Thanks again for even more information.

If there are other vendors out there that have better gains, why did you decide to stick with Dinan since the gains seem to be minimal? You might be able to extract more power from other software combined with your 4.10 final drive. Was warranty a concern of yours? I am concerned about warranty and want to keep mine in place as long as possible that is why the Dinan route seems the best for those of us who want some kind of warranty with mods to our cars. I had a lot of Dinan products on my old M3 and was quite happy with them. Just getting the MS filter from EAS sounds tempting right now...

Did you notice any adverse affects to your gas mileage with the 4.10 final drive? I don't autocross so would the Dinan 4.10 final drive be fine for a street driven car? Thanks.

2009 BMW M3 Sedan
2013 BMW 535i M Sport Sedan
2014 Mazda3 i Touring Sedan
Appreciate 0