02-21-2011, 05:10 PM   #114
Brosef
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by footie View Post
I do agree that if they brought us a new supercar it would need to be something really special to receive the kind of praise the others enjoy, but I don't agree that they don't have the ability or knowhow to match the best of them, even the mighty GT2 or RS version. Audi have shown that even with no past history as a supercar maker they were still able to not only build a beautiful one but one which went right to the top and worthy to be compared with the best from Porsche and Ferrari. So if Audi could do it then no doubt BMW could too.
I'm not talking about building a car that can be compared in the same category; I'm talking about building one that could beat it. sorry, but the R8 V10 doesn't come close to matching the finest from Porsche. is it even as fast as the 911TT (or turbo S) around a track? it certainly isn't as quick in a straight line. sorry, but I'm not impressed with the performance of the Audi R8. in either power level, it's way overpriced for its performance. the only reason they're able to sell it at the prices they do is because they keep production numbers low to capture the exclusivity premium. not a bad strategy, but it seems clear to me that Audi spent more time working on its aesthetics than its performance.

I'm not dogging on Audi, I'm just saying that it didn't create a legitimate performance competitor with the R8 for its price category. daily driveability and aesthetics seem to be its primary aspirations.

I must admit, however, that I've never driven an R8, so these are merely observations from desktop analysis and reviews that I've done.
Appreciate 0