06-01-2010, 04:12 PM   #85
Ramos
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20 2020 M340

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90SLAM View Post
I agree, or I think its a mix of both, maybe now the teams would think...maybe i can tell my driver to "conserve fuel" in order not to violate "team order" rules.

I was saying this earlier, team will NEVER let their race cars to carry anything more than what it needs to finish the race plus in-lap. So what you said earlier to put more fuel and let them race harder is not what they want.

I guess we all forgot "Fuel mixture" when we looked at 2010 season before Bahrain. we all thought everyone have the same "amount" of fuel and similar heavy cars. We only guessed some correct. Now teams are playing with fuel mixture to secure track position and enough gap early. dial the mixture to more lean, and cruise to victory.

Agree on the strategy being employed, and not just controlling the mixture, also cutting down on the RPM's and short shifting...

However my point is, all of this is done to save one lap worth of fuel (3KG, 5 Lbs) which only shaves off 1/10

Is 1/10 really worth it? I mean, would it be that much easier to overtake or be overtaken with a 1/10 difference? In quali, of course it would matter, but in the race I don't think it does especially when the price to pay could be one of the following;

1. What happened to the Red Bull's (this will cost them both championships, make no mistake about it)

2. What happened to Mclaren... While there was no contact, LH was visibily upset that he was told to save fuel and had his teammate sneak by him

3. One or both cars run out of fuel and not finish

Are any of these scenarios really worth 1/10 in the early stages of the race? When we all know a car has to be at least 2 seconds faster to realistically have a chance at a clean overtaking move ?
Appreciate 0