11-20-2012, 10:32 PM   #26
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepless View Post
I agree in general, but, I don't think a novice is going to destroy the tires...

The only thing a novice needs to do is make sure the car is properly serviced.

After a few track days, start thinking about track pads and high temp brake fluid.

After the first set of tires are gone, then consider a second set of wheels that offer a square setup so you can rotate the tires (still street tires).

I highly recommend against any r-compound tires unless you want to start down a very expensive slippery slope of upgrades. For example, the stock brakes are fine with track pads and some cooling ducts as long as you stick with street tires (upper end like AD-08s). Once you put on R-compounds, you'll likely overdrive the stock brakes and you'll start to feel like the car moves around too much on the suspension. You'll conclude you need big brakes and coil overs, sway bars. Then, you'll think the car needs more power, on goes the supercharger. Then you'll move to Hoosiers and need a pickup and trailer... Ask me how I know

I drive in the advanced groups, normally with a dedicated track car, but this year I drove 20 days with my E90 M3 family car with only these mods (track car, a Palatov D2, is being built and will be ready in the Spring so M3 will be back to DD duties):

- Camber plates (-2.2)
- Pagid Yellow pads
- Brembo brake fluid
- Cantrell Cooling ducts
- Apex 18" wheels with a square tire setup (265s) using RE11, AD08 and PSS tires

And I had a blast The E9X M3 is an extremely capable track weapon in mostly stock trim.

Save the money for gas, tires, pads and driving schools Bondurant's 4-day is excellent for novice to intermediate drivers. I'm sure Skip Barber and Russell Racing are also superb schools if you can't do the M School.

Have fun!

Pete
How would you compare the three tires you used in overall grip, break away tendency, wear and wet grip if you had a chance to drive in the wet?
Thanks.
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0