10-06-2013, 09:16 PM   #54
M3 Pilot
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 17' F80 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by jphughan View Post
They don't, but honestly for street driving it's not absolutely essential. Yes you get more stopping power if you do, but they're not exactly useless without. And even if you do bed them in, you'll have to re-bed them occasionally because most braking during regular driving is soft enough that the pads will be scraping deposits off the rotors rather than adding more, which is why I don't really bother with it anymore. I might bed in my track pads prior to a track day, but some tracks are set up so you can just use the first couple laps of your first session to do that anyway.

The far more important factor is making sure that you've scraped any existing deposits off of your rotors before switching to a different pad compound.
I tried bedding in my pads at the track in my Evo 9 since I can take it up to higher speed without breaking the law.

All I can say is, brake really early and hold on to your rollcage.

Your initial body senses tell you that the car is not slowing not one bit even when you hit the brakes hard and the wall is starting to look bigger.

I prefer to bed in the pads on public roads because it allows me to cool the rotors down completely overnight. The trade off is speed limitations and finding a straight road with no traffic.

At the track, it eats into my track time as I drive around for about few minutes after 5 hot laps and park it for 30-45 minutes.
Appreciate 0