View Single Post
      02-25-2011, 09:21 AM   #26
bsd damon
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Random starting issues

I was experiencing random starting issues over the past few months as well. Early on when I pushed the start button (with my foot on the brake), the car would turn on and do a "1/2 crank" of the starter but wouldn't turn over. Then I'd press it again and the car would start. Normally the car would fire right up on the 1st push. This occurred very randomly for a few months. Then it started occurring more frequently until recently, it took about 5+ tries to start the car on 2 separate days in one week.

It was not a low battery issue as it started no problem after sitting for 4 days. The next day it didn't start. The day after no problem. The day after that it didn't start. Turning the lights, idrive, A/C, etc off didn't help either (this used to work on my old Alfa).

After reading this post I went to the battery compartment and jiggled the negative cable and noticed the light in the trunk flickered. I reached my hand behind the trunk lining and finger tightened the ground screw so that the cable was tight and didn't move around. The trunk light was now steady when I tried to jiggle the negative cable. Car starts on 1st push every time now. Unfortunately its almost impossible get a wrench on the ground nut unless you want to totally take apart your trunk.

Hope this helps.
Appreciate 0