Rep

Drives: Harrop M3 / F10 M5 / F82 M4

Garage List
2000 BMW M5  [0.00]
1990 BMW 735i Turbo  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [7.50]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M5  [0.00]
Thank you to everyone that made positive comments or gave us constructive critism.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munit View Post
I don't see why anyone would do this for a dealer trip? Talk about a dead give away that you have been tuning your engine-to the point of offering a feature like this means you have been definetly digging around in the ECU and car and would give them reason to really put a magnifying glass on any warranty work.

Not sure how that is worth it to avoid them flogging a car that is meant to be flogged. Like I said above, nobody could thrash my car harder than I do-I thrash the living hell out of it and it runs perfectly. Only guidelines I follow is I always wait until temps are up to the middle of the guage or so before stepping on it. Besides that its a no holds barred thrash fest.

Given bmw limits revs to 5500 when cold, really damage done even if trying to flog it when cold is limited.

I see this being good for valet at dinner or something but that would require a quick flip option.
I would do it for a dealer trip. Why? Because they abuse your car. I've seen this in front of my eyes over twenty times.

Dealers rarely notice things like this, and to me it doesn't matter even if they see it. The key is to have a realationship with your service advisor/tech. After that's established there's no need to worry about them flagging your car. I set most of my local customers up with my SA and tech to make sure they are always taken care of. Regardless, out of every car I have tuned I have NEVER heard of a SINGLE warranty denial ever. In fact, never heard of denial from anyones tune really, other than a gentleman in Singapore who blew his motor and would not disclose who the tuner was.

One of my friends about three years ago had a 335 and asked me for a 17PSI file. I told him it would blow his turbos eventually especially the way he drove. He said he wanted it anyway. Boy.. that was one fast 335i.

At 49,500 miles the turbos were replaced under warranty at a random dealer without any issues. Even took the car in with the tune and they gave it back with the tune.

Stock cold rev limit is based on coolant temp, and usually the cars will have a rev limit of 6500 RPM on starting. When you start the car, oil temps are probably between 50 and 70F. Taking a car to 6,500 RPM with oil temps that low would be serious abuse. This is why we limit it to 4,500 in our tune (and release it more slowly) in the tune. To be honest, I would have limited it even lower, but the instrument cluster manufacturer didn't paint the wheel red far enough, so if you reduce it lower than 4,500 (which is totally possible), you'll have the silver color up by the redline instead of red. Damage might be 'limited' to an extent, but it's enough to wear the motor prematurely for sure.

Not sure why you wait until the needle is dead center, that's also not necessary. You can flog it before that and the oil will be at an acceptable viscosity level even before 210F.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munit
Cool features but kind of useless if you can't switch maps. How can the vishnu and jb3 stuff have been doing map switching for years? Is it because their chips can do that and a flash cannot?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmw135er View Post
That's because the"chips" that Vishnu and BMS offer are not a real tune. They are signal modifiers that fool the DME, not tune it. It's a lot easier to do as an external device than actual reflash. If you want that, perhaps the procede is your cup of tea on the M3. In that regard, you would be the minority.
Exactly.

Piggybacks are not real 'tunes' and in my opinion is more of a hack than anything else. I would never run one on my personal car. You're limited to an extent when using them. They 'trick' the stock ECU instead of doing the right thing. Of course map switching is going to be easier with them because they aren't switching anything in the DME at all, they are just tricking the DME in a different manner to achieve the desired result. They are prone to fault codes and other issues, and go against the cars overall well being IMO.

As I said, I made this because many people requested this. It's not instantly switchable at this point, but it still serves a very valid purposes in many cases. Five minutes to flash is really not that bad. I have some ideas for how to make this more easily switchable in the future, but for now I think this is a good start. Rome wasn't built in a day.

-----| Like us on Facebook | Instagram || Tuning Information | Remote Coding |-----
----Visit us at www.BPMSport.com - Emotion. Driven. | Toll Free: (888) 557-5133----
Appreciate 0